Basic Authentication versus Integrated Windows Authentication

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iggy_*

Guest_iggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

I've done a search through these forums and didn't run across an obvious answer to what I'm seeing. Specifically, I've created a very basic script that logs into our web application and submits an incident ticket.

When I use the Integrated Authentication (and yes, the credentials are valid blink.gif ) I see an HTTP error rate running between 10% and 35%. In looking at the HTTP reply codes from the Errors Report in the LeftNav, they are all 401 Access denied error messages from the root URI for the app.

When I use Basic Authentication, there are no errors to speak of.

Has anyone else seen this? Might it be timing related?

Thanks in advance for thoughtful responses! cool.gif

#2 Guest_angela_*

Guest_angela_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (iggy @ Apr 24 2008, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done a search through these forums and didn't run across an obvious answer to what I'm seeing. Specifically, I've created a very basic script that logs into our web application and submits an incident ticket.

When I use the Integrated Authentication (and yes, the credentials are valid blink.gif ) I see an HTTP error rate running between 10% and 35%. In looking at the HTTP reply codes from the Errors Report in the LeftNav, they are all 401 Access denied error messages from the root URI for the app.

When I use Basic Authentication, there are no errors to speak of.

Has anyone else seen this? Might it be timing related?

Thanks in advance for thoughtful responses! cool.gif

Hi,

Most probably, the problem is connected with access. The user which you use for NTLM authorization should have access rights for the folder where your application is located. You can check or set the rights in the Security tab.

#3 Guest_iggy_*

Guest_iggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (angela @ Apr 24 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Most probably, the problem is connected with access. The user which you use for NTLM authorization should have access rights for the folder where your application is located. You can check or set the rights in the Security tab.

Angela --

Thanks for the quick reply! wink.gif I'll make the updates and post my results in a little bit (in the meantime, the tool uncovered a few things we need to address.

BTW -- I wanted to give you guys some feedback: THANK YOU for making such an easy to use and powerful tool! The market is flooded with applications that are overpriced with steep learning curves. Your team has definitely filled a much needed gap for SQA shops that are looking to deploy a solution that makes life easier and gets the job. To say that I'm impressed would be a huge understatement!

biggrin.gif

#4 Guest_angela_*

Guest_angela_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

Thank you very much for such a great feedback! smile.gif

#5 Guest_iggy_*

Guest_iggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (angela @ Apr 25 2008, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you very much for such a great feedback! smile.gif

My pleasure. BTW -- your suggestion was spot on... it was pilot error here. blink.gif Authentication is working perfectly... laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users