WAPT Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard S

WMI (and/or SNMP) and performance counters

Guest Richard S

I was having trouble setting up remote performance counters in WAPT Pro, so I sent a note to support, and Ivan was able to send me in the right direction to get it working. Here is my message and subsequent reply:

I would like some assistance with using the Performance Counters on a remote computer. I searched the forums but did not see answers. Here is my existing setup:

Windows XP [192.168.0.25]

- WAPT Pro

- Load Agent

Windows 2003 Server [192.168.0.142]

- ASP.NET web site

- Ports 135, File Sharing (139,445,137,138) are open

I have tried different combinations of user and password, as well as computer\user and password, and any accounts I use have administrator permissions. I have also tried with both firewalls disabled, but when I click on "Server settings|Test performance counters collection", I get error, "WAPT Pro 2.1 | WMI initialization failed. Access is denied." I am using mode WMI.

I have tried looking through these sites as well.

http://serverfault.com/questions/28520/which-permissions-rights-does-a-user-

need-to-have-wmi-access-on-remote-machines

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa393266.aspx

Hello Richard,

The problem is your WMI and/or local network configuration. To our experience WMI is a rather unreliable interface, because it depends on various policies and restrictions that may exist in your domain. In most cases it works, but if it does not work, it is usually much easier to switch to SNMP. SNMP is not enabled by default, but you can easily do this. Here is the example of instruction:

http://www.poorperformance.com/wiki/index.php?title=Install%2C_Enable_and_Configure_SNMP_on_Windows

Both interfaces provide same data, so you will not miss anything if you switch to SNMP.

Regards,

Ivan

On the same Windows Components screen to install SNMP I noticed that WMI was not fully installed. I installed it too, and now both WMI and SNMP work.

If the link above does not work, the solution was to install SNMP monitoring (Add Features in Windows 2008, Windows Add/Remove Components, Management and Monitoring in Windows 2003). WMI was in the list for Windows 2003 but I do not see it in the Windows 2008 so your mileage may vary. You also need to configure security and firewall.