WAPT Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vince K

Variable entries for form submission

Guest Vince K

Has anyone created a test script that is able to enter unique text into a form field for each execution (pass or 'loop') of the recorded script. The way our web system is architected, the data acess layer caches data and will not submitt and update unless there is an actual change. Submitting the same text for each test (loop), will not necessarily trigger an update to the db. How do you create a formula to randomize text into a field? My goal is to test the response time (performance) of the system when updating specific fields.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Guest mwetter
Has anyone created a test script that is able to enter unique text into a form field for each execution (pass or 'loop') of the recorded script. The way our web system is architected, the data acess layer caches data and will not submitt and update unless there is an actual change. Submitting the same text for each test (loop), will not necessarily trigger an update to the db. How do you create a formula to randomize text into a field? My goal is to test the response time (performance) of the system when updating specific fields.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Vine K!

U can REC a test and then in the specific profile u look at the properties of the designated page.

there should be the parameter u r looking for with the value u entered in the REC.

Now u can edit this value and change the STATIC TEXT to a NUMERIC RANDOM for example.

here u can use "test" or something else as prefix and specify the area for a numeric random!

now WAPT generates for each session a new random in the form: "test(random int)", for example: "test45343"

in this way the input changes in every session.

Guest Vince K
Hi Vine K!

U can REC a test and then in the specific profile u look at the properties of the designated page.

there should be the parameter u r looking for with the value u entered in the REC.

Now u can edit this value and change the STATIC TEXT to a NUMERIC RANDOM for example.

here u can use "test" or something else as prefix and specify the area for a numeric random!

now WAPT generates for each session a new random in the form: "test(random int)", for example: "test45343"

in this way the input changes in every session.

Thanks for your help. I was able to update the parameter with the NUMERIC RANDOM formula, however, when running the test ... I got 500 Internal Server Errors (which mean nothing to me, could be anything). At the beginning of our site, the user is prompted to log in. I added these steps to Initial and the errors went away. After running the test with no errors, I can check the site and see that the text fields (parameters) I was trying to update remain the same. I'm not sure where to look now ... I thought for sure your suggestion would have fixed my problem.

Guest Vince K

I'm still dealing with this problem in trying to update our site. Basic Authentication is used to enter it and I'm pretty sure I have this part figured out.

Here is the question: Does WAPT support AJAX asynchronous postback in ASP.NET? Our site uses this and I didn't know if WAPT would still be able to update the form when this was used. I have had success with generating random inserts on a test page, however, on our main site the same process does not work (the test site does not use the AJAX asynch postback process).

Vince