Jump to content


Variable String length limit?


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cirej2000_*

Guest_cirej2000_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

Is there a limitation to the number of characters a variable can hold?

Specifically, I'm using the ordered list loaded from file (in an initial variable). The file hold a list of url paths that is being used to generate load against a server.

In the past, I've used an older file that was parsed from a log of entries from our production environment. The if/then statements I had set in my script looked for specific text in the url path and determined what type of event was being sent to the server so that I could track results by event.

All of this worked fine with the initial url file.

I decided to upgrade the urls; so I got a new file from Production and tried to use that. I noticed immediately that the load was nowhere near what we had with the older file.

Then I noticed that there were WAY too many events marked as unknown. A brief glance at the new url path file shows that this should not be the case. After some further debugging I discovered that many requests were being sent with a url path of "/". No entries in the file had this as the full content; so this is inaccurate. If I switch the ordered list back to the original file, it works as expected again.

My only idea as to why this might be occurring is the extreme size of some of the url paths in the newer script. Some of the query parameters are over 1000 characters. I still haven't confirmed that this ISN'T the case in the old file. But we've added some additional services that are much more likely to use the longer parameter strings.

So to finally get to my question again: Is there a character limit to the variables? If there is one and it is exceeded what is the size effect (if any)? Finally if there is a limit can anything be done to control this? We are going to have more and more of these crazy url lengths.

Thanks!

#2 Sergei Leonov

Sergei Leonov

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (cirej2000 @ Apr 22 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So to finally get to my question again: Is there a character limit to the variables? If there is one and it is exceeded what is the size effect (if any)? Finally if there is a limit can anything be done to control this? We are going to have more and more of these crazy url lengths.


There isn't limitation for a variable size. Could you give me an example of such long URL?
Sergei Leonov
WAPT Project Manager
SoftLogica LLC

Office: +7-383-335-6692
Toll-free: 1-888-364-6797 (for US only)
Time zone GMT +6, EST +11
E-mail: support@loadtestingtool.com
http://www.loadtestingtool.com

#3 Guest_cirej2000_*

Guest_cirej2000_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Sergei Leonov @ Apr 23 2010, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There isn't limitation for a variable size. Could you give me an example of such long URL?

I found long strings in the older file which was working. I don't think this was caused by long url strings, after all.

I still can't figure out why the one file results in "/" strings so often (the majority of its requests) while the older one doesn't.

What I have also noticed is that after adding a new load agent to WAPT Pro and removing another, ALL of the url requests to the newly added load agent are being sent as "/" instead of the url path from the ordered list. The one difference in this url is that it resides in a different subnet.

Everything else appears to be fine (not blocking at the firewall level) requests are being logged on the user agent. The problem persists, however, regardless as to whether or not the agent is configured for IP Spoofing. The requests just don't seem to be using the address from the file.

It appears to be directly related to using the orderlist from file. If I take the first 309 lines from the url path file and plug them directly into the ordered list text box for the Initial variable, the functionality is good:

Full access of the load agent in the separate subnet - all entries are processed in full and IP Spoofing works perfectly for the host IP and it's additional IPs.

===============================
It appears as though there is some sort of gotcha with the orderedlist from file functionality (at least in the Initial Variable).

1. There is a limit to the number of characters or lines (I can only paste 309 lines of urls) in the ordered list text field.
2. If I attempt to use the ordered list from file; there are problems with sending to a host outside of the local subnet. The exact same list of data stored DIRECTLY in the ordered list text field causes no problems.

3. There are also intermittent problems with SOME ordered list files which point to the load agents in the local subnet, as well. The original file I used resulted in no problems against the local subnet urls. The new file (or a subset of it) does result in problems. If I take a subset of the new file and put it directly in the OrderedList text field, there are apparently no problems.


Really crazy problem. If you could look into it, that would be great. I can make some progress with using the non-file ordered list; but I am limited to 309 url paths instead of 1000 times that many in the file.


[edit]I sent some url files and the WPP file for this case[/edit]

#4 Sergei Leonov

Sergei Leonov

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Fixed. You can download the new build from http://www.loadtesti.../WAPTPro2.0.zip
Sergei Leonov
WAPT Project Manager
SoftLogica LLC

Office: +7-383-335-6692
Toll-free: 1-888-364-6797 (for US only)
Time zone GMT +6, EST +11
E-mail: support@loadtestingtool.com
http://www.loadtestingtool.com




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users